Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Still Trying...

Well, I've let my blogging get behind, but honestly I haven't had much to say. My plants have still been pretty sad-looking. Some of them have yellowed leaves while others have leaves that have been munched on by bugs.

It's rained a lot here, and so I haven't had many opportunities to go out and do much of anything to help them lately. I did buy some fish fertilizer over the weekend, though, and finally got the chance to go out and use it yesterday. Unfortunately, when I went out I also found that the ants have come back in full force. They were literally swarming over the mounds of soil where I planted my cucumber seeds. After fertilizing the entire garden, I liberally sprinkled them with Borax. Hopefully they'll be gone this evening and my plants perked up.

One happy surprise I found yesterday was a small yellow squash. It's about 3" long. At least something is growing!

3 comments:

Janet said...

Well, that's something! :-) I admire your efforts...hang in there, Heather!

Unknown said...

I've never heard of that. I always have great results planting in soil.

Unknown said...

Just a thought - The problem with your yellow leaves could be an iron deficiency. (iron chlorosis). This is caused by nutrients being leeched out of the soil due to over watering. Since your getting a lot of rain it could explain your problem. The fish based fertilizer should help, but you probably need to find an organic iron based fertilizer. Check this out: http://www.pronto.com/mpm/Gardening-Materials-Bonide-Fertilizer-Liquid-p_1150353534-PP