Friday, April 24, 2009

Straw Bale Gardening, Day 4

Yesterday I got a phone call from my awesome friend Jeannie who told me that she was overwhelmed by seedlings all over her green house. She wanted to know if I could come take some off her hands, to which my reply was, "Be right there!"

What I brought home: yellow squash (1 plant), zucchini (1 plant), Anaheim chiles (3 plants), jalapeno chiles (3 plants), sweet watermelon (1 plant), grape tomato (1 plant), jubilee tomato (1 plant), and brandywine tomato (1 plant). Also, not shown in the picture are three tomatillos, a bunch of sweet basil, and a bunch of cilantro.



I decided to conserve space in my straw bales and use containers for my herbs, so I went ahead and transferred my basil & cilantro over to large pots. I'm really excited about these - especially the cilantro. I love that stuff! I hope it does well!

The only thing I did to my straw bales yesterday was water them. I do have a problem though: ants! There are ants all over the wall behind my bales and also in the straw. I called my aunt, who recommended buying some Sevin to put on the straw. I'm planning to do that tonight if no one has any better suggestions. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? (Sorry...couldn't resist...)

No comments: